How to Find Your Cell Phone's IMEI/MEID Number
All cell phones sold in the U.S.A. are required by the F.C.C. to be assigned a unique identifying number known as an ESN. Eventually, ESNs were replaced by MEID numbers and IMEI numbers. In order to activate a cell phone on a service plan, you need to provide your phone's IMEI/MEID number. The location and method of getting this information varies somewhat depending on your phone model.
Feature Phones, Most Smartphones
- Turn your phone completely off and remove the battery according to manufacturer instructions. Some phones have a battery which slides or clips onto the back as one piece, however, most phones have a battery cover that must be removed first.
- Within the empty battery slot there should be a white label applied with "FCC ID" printed at the top and several numbers and bar codes. The IMEI/MEID number is a 15-17 digit number and will usually have either "IMEI" or "MEID in front.
- From the homescreen, tap "Settings."
- Tap "General," then "About." Scroll down this screen until you find the MEID.
- Alternatively, you can connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer running iTunes and look on the left side column under "Devices." Click your device name, and on the screen that appears, click on your phone number to see your MEID.
- Either look under the battery for the white label, or, from the phone's dialer screen, dial #06# and your phone's IMEID will be displayed.
- You may also find the IMEI number in settings. From the homescreen, press the menu button, then tap settings, then find and tap "About Phone," then tap "Status." The IMEI number is listed on that screen.
Motorola iDEN Phones (Nextel, Push-to-Talk)
- From the dial screen, press #, [menu], [right arrow] is rapid succession, without pausing between presses.
- If your phone uses a SIM card, scroll down until you see "IMEI/SIM ID" and select Enter. From here you can view your IMEI, SIM, and on some phones, your MSN. The first 14 digits are displayed. Add a 0 on the end for your complete IMEI number.
- If your phone does not have a SIM card, continue to hit the [right arrow] key until you see "IMEI " on the display. The first seven digits are displayed. Hit the menu key and then the "soft key" under "next" to display the next seven digits. Add a 0 on the end for your complete IMEI number.